Saturday, May 3, 2014

Struggle

So I keep struggling with the opening paragraph for the second novel. Here is what I have so far. Please feel free to comment if you have an idea to make it better.

      The blaring Country song wakes me. My left hand shoves the electronic annoyance perched on the milk crate to the floor; thunk. I sit up on my mattress, lying on the floor, and rub my eyes. Summer went too fast. Days of relaxing or hanging out with Stephanie have disappeared. Instead of getting away from this hellhole, the next one hundred and eighty days of school will entrap me here…in this place. Thoughts of tests, quizzes, essays, and projects taking up all of my free time makes my stomach shudder. I pull out my mom’s picture from under my pillow and stare into her soft, brown eyes. The more I think about her, the more I miss her. A tear trickles down my cheek. Mom’s warm smile and hearty laughter always made the first day of school so much better and easier to handle. Last year, she made my anxiety over transitioning into high school disappear. This year I don’t have that luxury.


No comments:

Post a Comment