Saturday, May 10, 2014

Crossroad

Robert Frost remarked in his poem "The Road Not Taken,"

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

I received another rejection letter from an English teacher interview I had this past Monday. I had thought that the interview went remarkably well. Similar to the interviews I've already had for teaching and administrator positions this year, I keep striking out on obtaining that great position to be in the classroom teaching students. I love helping students and others achieve their goals. In fact, it makes me feel good inside, which is the reason why I went into the education profession after many years as an engineer.

This is where my problem rests. I can probably gain a position if I move away from my current home. I've spent my entire life here in Northwestern PA. My wife, too, has spent all of her life here. We both have tight families that live here and support us as needed. My mother and brother both have health issues right now. If I left, I'm not sure who would help them. Granted, I help very minimally due to my normal hectic schedule, but I'm still concerned. On the other hand, I can drop everything and push my writing. This, too, is a gamble. My novel writing can teach or help others, but it will only do that if it sells. People enjoy my writing. I have some great reviews on GoodReads.com about my debut novel. Yet, they aren't flying off the shelves of Amazon.com or Barnesandnoble.com. I think I'm okay as a writer, but that may just be the perfectionist in me.

My heart is torn. I'm at the crossroads and I don't know which way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment